Tuesday 24 November 2015

Inside Kara's dressing room with Rachel

At the beginning of the month Playbill.com shared an interview "Go Inside Kara Lindsay's Dressing room for Girl Talk with Rachel Tucker." It's a fantastic interview & our first real glimpse of Rachel & Kara's friendship off stage.

"After only three weeks in the show together, it's clear that Broadway's newest Elphaba and Glinda, Rachel Tucker and Kara Lindsay, respectively, have a bond that will last "for good." Tucker, who played the role of Elphaba for over 1,000 performances in the West End, joins Lindsay, who rose to fame in the hit Disney musical Newsies and has been playing the role of Glinda on Broadway since December.  
The two leading ladies were squealing with excitement backstage at the Gershwin Theatre after reuniting in the hallway moments before the interview. Lindsay had just taken a few personal days off from the show and arrived at the theatre directly from the airport. The two actresses were giggling, hugging and catching up while we settled into Lindsay's dressing room to talk about their journey with the show, maintaining their personal lives and who the best Fiyero kisser is."

This is such a fun interview & what makes it even better is the photoshoot that came along with it. To view the gallery on Playbill.com, click here.. or scroll below. We love them so much, we're just going to post them all in full, because they are beautiful. Credit goes to Monica Simoes. We're going to put a few of the interview questions in between the pictures but for the full interview please click through



Rachel, you've gotten to work with so many different Glindas. It must be so different each time. RT: Yeah, it is. What's so great about working with so many different Glindas [is that] they bring their own stamp to it each time. You know there are a few people that "copy," and you can kind of tell if someone has seen something and copied it…I'm speaking from previous experience.KL: Yeah, right. She's like [points to herself.]RT: But it's wonderful when I come here and everything she [Kara] does, I don't think I've ever seen, and each night she does something different…KL: I definitely copy some things.RT: …and actually makes me laugh on stage.[Both laugh.]KL: That's my goal, to make you…RT: Genuinely make me laugh?KL: It's fun!!RT: Well, it's great because she is supposed to make Elphaba smile, and entertain her and make her at ease, so she does her job very well.KL: Aww. Thank you! So do you! When she first joined, I told her, "I'm so sorry! I think I'm just watching you!" I was so amazed by what was happening. I was just like an audience member. On the stage.   Read more.

There are so many unauthorized, bootleg videos circulating of performances from Wicked. Have you ever felt pressure to conform to the performances of previous Glindas and Elphabas?KL: I think it behooves us to not copy and to make it our own because we can never be Kristin Chenoweth or Idina Menzel. To really make it honest and truthful, we have to bring a bit of ourselves to the role. I think there is a sort of pressure to do justice to what Idina and Kristen have brought to the roles, but I also don't think copying benefits the story or the show at all. [Then] we're just being false.RT: The point of Elphaba is that she has to stand up to truth and honesty and be honorable to herself. I, Rachel, can only do that if I'm being honest with myself. And I approach each line as close to as I, Rachel, would do it. I don't tend to want to emulate something [from] another performance because it's been done. There are a million different ways of saying each of these lines and so they should be said a million different ways.KL: Well, there is a pressure, because it has been running for 12 years, and the fans expect something, so we want to make them proud of the show that they're such fans of. Read more.





How do you maintain your personal lives? How are you a mom and doing one of the hardest female roles on Broadway? RT: Well, it's kind of just…KL: That's what I ask her!RT: …it just happens. It's like owning a dog. Well, it's not that easy! [Everybody laughs.] What do you do when you go to the show? What do you do with a responsibility? He is a huge responsibility and I adore being a mother, but when I go to work, I go to work and he's at home with his dad. He goes to nursery school now, and I have a great husband who looks after him. He lets me sleep in, and he works around us, and that's always been the case. That's what I pass on to Kara for her future children, or anybody! It's so doable. It can be tough…but it's doable.   Read more.


Did you discover anything new about the role when returning to Broadway? Rachel, you did it in the West End for over 1,000 performances, and Kara you toured around the country, so was there anything new you realized when you went back into rehearsals for Broadway? RT: What was lovely was having done it for as long as I had done it in London and then coming to Broadway and having it redirected via the original creative [team]! That was a bigger insight for me. The guys on tour get Lisa [Leguillou], who is our original creative and resident director. We don't necessarily get that in London. I got it from the horse's mouth over here. I loved [that] there were a couple of little corners that I chose differently in London than what she wanted here, simply because that had been passed on. Knowledge is key and there was a lot of of, "Oh, that's what that's supposed to be!" and, "Oh! I get it!" Like where the foundation of the dance that Elphaba does comes from. So I had that [working with the original creatives], and it was lovely to find little different corners and a deeper Elphaba because of that.   Read more.





Photos by Monica Simoes of Playbill.com
What's your favorite scene? 
KL: "For Good."
RT: Mine's "Popular."
KL: Really?!?!
RT: I look forward to it EVERY night.
KL: You do? You get a candy corn [motions over to candy dish]. I love "For Good" because it's so simple and I think it stands alone.      Read more.
 Please remember we've only put a few of the questions here, so for the full article click through.


No comments: