Saturday 7 June 2008

Rachel -- The Way We Were



Week 4 of the live shows saw Rachel perform the Barbra Streisand song 'The Way We Were', a shivery ballad of love gone awry. It was the first chance she'd had to show her softer side and she delivered an incredible heart felt performance that brought tears to my eyes.

No wonder the judges were blown away:

John Barrowman commented: "Rachel, Barbra Streisand we all have in our heads singing that, but not anymore girl, because you wiped the floor with that performance - that was the best performance of the evening in my eyes. Superb!"

Barry Humphries said: "Certainly you were the star of tonight Rachel, and you could be the star of the West End."

Denise Van Outen said: "Rachel, I find myself just repeating myself week-after-week - that was absolutely amazing, a fantastic performance. You are such a strong contender for this role."

Watching the show on television via a live video link in Las Vegas was Andrew Lloyd Webber who concluded by saying: "Well now Rachel, what can I say? It was a fantastic performance tonight. The song won an 'Oscar' 34 years ago - if I was there, I'd give you an 'Andrew'!"


David says:

I must admit I was slightly nervous the first time I watched this performance. Though a Streisand song, I'm more familiar with the Gladys Knight version, and emulating either was going to be a big ask.

Was it a problem for our girl? What a daft question.

Rachel's vocal here is absolutely beautiful, her straight to camera shots exquisite and above all she lives the song. I love it.

Watch the video below and judge for yourself.

No comments: