Tuesday 8 July 2008

Rachel Interview -- June 2008














This is the second of two interviews emailed to us today by Michael from Belfast.


This interview is more recent -- last month in fact, and relates to Rachel's appearance on the judging panel in Bangor on 7th June.

Quite an interesting piece I'm sure you'll agree, and Rachel's comments regarding older men are absolutely spot on. Ahem.

As with the Oz interview below, there was no accompanying photo, so I've added this one by permission of the Citybeat site.

A big thank you to Michael for sending the links -- we're always happy to hear from our readers!


RACHEL TO JUDGE TALENT CONTEST

‘DRAINED’: Rachel Tucker

Published Date: 07 June 2008
By Staff reporter

NANCY reject Rachel Tucker is back home today – to judge a high-profile singing contest. The I’d Do Anything star from north Belfast touched down in her home city last night, and said she feels “drained”.

“I’ve broken out in spots, my throat’s sore and I’m achy all over,” the 26-year-old revealed. “It’s my body’s way of telling me it’s time to slow down.”

But it doesn’t look as if she’s going to take her own advice.

This afternoon, Rachel will be in Bangor on the other side of the table, scrutinising competitors in Citybeat’s Young Star Search talent contest.

Her fellow judges include Co Down teen Niamh Perry, who was also voted off I’d Do Anything, and Hollyoaks actor Gerard McCarthy.

And after a homecoming party at her family home tomorrow, she will travel back to London to pursue her dreams.

Rachel revealed that she has continued to sing for her supper ever since she was eliminated by music maestro Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber.

“Literally the day after the show was over, I started getting calls to come and try out for upcoming productions,” she said.

“In the last few days, I’ve auditioned for Cabaret, Carousel, and Barry Manilow’s new musical, Can’t Smile Without You.”

Rachel’s still waiting by the phone for the results – a familiar feeling after five gruelling months on I’d do Anything.

Her hopes of landing the coveted role of Nancy in Lloyd Webber’s upcoming production of Oliver! were finally dashed a fortnight ago.

She had managed to get through to the final four, but composer Lord Webber decided to vote her off.

Blackpool singer Jodie Prenger was picked as the winner last week – after being backed by Rachel.

The brunette admitted: “I was gutted about being voted off. But there’s no bitterness. It obviously just wasn’t meant to be, and I really thought Jodie should win. Being on the show was also one of the best things that’s ever happened to me. It’s opened up so many doors, and convinced me to keep pursuing musical theatre as a career.”

She calls Lloyd Webber a “lovely man”, and said she is sure he will keep an eye on all the competitors’ careers.

“He was so generous, and no matter how he comes across as a judge, I know he really cared about all the girls,” Rachel revealed.

She now lives in London with fiance and theatre director Guy Retallack – who is 17 years her senior.

The couple met three-and-a-half years ago when Guy cast her in the touring version of the musical Tommy.

Rachel said there’s no issues over the age gap, and has revealed older men float her boat.

“Lads my own age have never appealed to me,” she has confessed.

“Older men are more polite, more thoughtful. They know how to treat a lady.”

Lucky for her then that one of her highlights of the I’d do Anything experience was cosying up to Hollywood heart-throb George Clooney at a red carpet movie premiere.

She said: “It was the showing of his new movie, Leatherheads, at Leicester Square and he was just lovely – really interested in all the girls on the show, and posing to get his picture with us.”

Her flying visit to Northern Ireland is the first time she has been home since I’d Do Anything finished.

But it doesn’t sound as if she will back that often.

She said: “I love coming back, but I’ve got my life in London, and I’m intent on making it.”

No comments: