Tuesday 17 June 2008

Rachel & Niamh Sing Off


Despite what I thought was a beautiful rendition of ‘I Will Always Love You’ and as many votes as I could physically manage, Rachel found herself in the bottom 2 for the second time. She was joined by fellow Northern Ireland contestant Niamh who despite maybe not being right for the role of Nancy, did impress me during the competition. They were given one of Andrew's own songs, Another Suitcase in Another Hall from Evita.

I have to say this was my favourite sing off of the entire series. The song, Another Suitcase in Another Hall, is demanding both technically and in terms of acting. They both sang it beautifully but as with the last time she was in the sing-off, Rachel sparkled and managed to pull another emotional, expressive performance that oozed star quality.

I don’t think Andrew struggled with his decision much despite as always saying it was a hard choice. This is how he broke the news to the girls:


"It's a very difficult song to sing and, Niamh, if I was casting Evita, I would seriously think of you for that role.

"Rachel I thought you handled it very well and you really warmed to the role.

"It's a very difficult decision for me but ultimately tonight I have to save Rachel.

"Niamh, your voice just needs time to mature and I wouldn't be surprised if you were up for a major leading role when you're 20."


Watch the video below and judge for yourself.

No comments: